Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Art Institutes Interviews: Nina Perdomo

Today's interview from The Art Institutes show at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is with designer Nina Perdomo.

Emma: What’s your original inspiration for your line?
Nina: My original inspiration for my line is called drystone. It’s a building tecnique which doesn’t require you to use any mortar to hold the stones together. So what I did with my inspiration was, I took the images that I collected and I drew the colors from the images and I also drew the textures and the lines from the drystone.


E: What kinds of textures and fabrics are you using in your collection to transfer your inspiration?
N: I’m using leather and wool, those are the two main textures. I’m also using silk chiffon, silk georgette, a little bit of cotton, that’s about it.


E: Do you have any advice for school or college?
N: For school, whatever is in your heart, that you want to do, just go for it, and put your best effort towards that. It’s all about time management and having a schedule and being organized. If you really utilize those, then your school term will be successful and not as hard.


E: How did you get your internship(s)?
N: I actually got my internship on my own, just from researching on the Internet. I was interning at Diane Von Furstenburg. Anyway, I was researching and I found a fashion website called freefashioninternships.com and I went through there and I got an interview with Diane Von Furstenburg and J. Mendel. DVF was the one interested in me and I took their offer. I was there for about six months, and I just took a break from them for this fashion show, and I’m planning on going back after.


E: Are you planning on going back and evolving that internship into a career at DVF? Is that your idea?
N: Yes, that is my intention. Right now, there is a position is available, and I’m going back until a position there is available or a better opportunity is available elsewhere.


E: Ideally, do you see yourself as a head of an already established fashion house (ie Balmain, Givenchy, Balenciaga), or do you see yourself running your own namesake brand?
N: At the end of the day, I would rather run my own brand and build that up and compete with all the top brands.








Photo credit to Elvia Gobbo

No comments:

Post a Comment